For many working women, today’s working environment looks a bit different than it did even just a couple weeks ago. Many women are now working from home, have their kids home from school and are trying to juggle this new work/life balance.
It seems to me, many women are in panic mode now because of these changes. I want to reassure you of one thing- we only give fuel to the things that we put attention on.
SO, what that means is, if you focus on lack and worry and the hysteria of all of this- than this is what you will feel. But if you can look and see the silver lining in the matter of this whole situation than it will make the situation and the day to day much easier on you (and everyone around you).
I’m a mama who works from home. Yes, I have help so I can run my business, get personal errands done and so on BUT I do also coach and help MANY working women who DO NOT have help to maximize their time and schedules so they can be more productive and efficient each day when it comes to working from home and juggling kiddos at home.
I want to share with you 10 Tips for How You Can Get MORE DONE working from home!
- Limit your distractions: Everything from email pings, to texts and social media notifications all throw off your concentration. Maintain a healthy distance from any distractions during working hours so you can really focus in on the task at hand.
- Time Block: Give yourself tasks to do and time block your activities. Time blocking allows you to give yourself a set amount of time to focus on a project or activity and then get it done in a set amount of time. If you do not complete the task you can come back at another time but the goal is to factor in how much time it will take to get the task done and then move on.
- Take advantage of your new “office views’. Sometimes stepping outside the office gives you a fresh perspective. Use this time wisely to get creative and think outside the box for new ideas and fresh perspective you get at this time.
- Batch out your work: Get done the same tasks all at once instead of bouncing from home task to work tasks. Ex: Get all of your errands done in the same hour, have days ONLY prioritized towards content creation, admin work, writing, etc.
- Create an ideal environment and clear space to work in: Get rid of any clutter and give yourself a clean and clutter free space to work in.
- Tackle the hardest thing first: Always get the hardest thing out of the way first so the rest of the day is smooth sailing!
- Plan the night before: ESPECIALLY in uncertain times its critical to CONTROL the CONTROLLABLE- which means your schedule and what’s going on day to day. Be specific about what goals and projects you need to tackle but also leave a little room for margin should something come up and you need to rearrange things!
- Work while your kids do school work: Mapping out a daily plan for your kids will give both YOU and them some structure (and sanity) so you’re not losing your marbles on how to keep your little ones busy each day. Come up with a schedule you can follow, let them pitch in and offer up ideas on what they would like to do but also use their “working time” to your advantage and get your work done while they work.
- Get up one hour earlier- start your day before your kids get up: This allows YOU to take care of yourself and your own needs before anyone else. Get up and start the day on HIGH VIBE energy! This means meditate, read, exercise, go for a walk, journal or just go make yourself a hot cup of coffee.
- Stay positive & keep moving forward: This too shall pass and we will all get back to our “normal” or “new normal” as I like to call it. You may get distracted, have more distractions than normal or road blocks you didn’t anticipate but take this time to reflect on the positive! You get extra intentional time with your kids, you have a fresh perspective for new work ideas, you don’t have to get your kids out the door super early in the morning, you don’t have to rush schedules and you get to CONNECT more with loved ones!
I hope these tips help you weather the storm, get a fresh perspective on the situation and see the silver lining in this somewhat uncertain time.
Share this with a fellow boss babe/ mompreneur to help give her some tips and little extra support and TLC at this time!
Also, I’d love for you to share with me your own tips for getting more done as you work from home!
Stay strong, GF! We’re all in this together!