Just one smart swap can pave the way to a healthier and happier life. So I decided to give you 10 PLUS a BONUS “this for that’s.” Now there are no excuses when it comes to making healthier food choices or living a healthier lifestyle! It’s actually a lot more simple than you think!
- Cook instead of eating out. This is a no brainer. Think about it…even if you try and eat healthy in a restaurant everything from the bread bowl, extra sugars/ flours and sauces can really add up! Trust your inner Top Chef skills and get to cookin’! Cooking at home will more likely result in a healthier meal, not to mention a happier wallet.
- Eat whole fruit instead of drinking fruit juice. A glass of O.J. contains very little of the pulp or skin from an orange—and none of the fiber content. Skip the glass, and go with the whole piece of fruit to reap the full nutritional benefits of this sweet, healthy snack. All the sugars from the juice are really not that great for you. Go for the healthier option and grab a piece of fruit when you’re on the go!
- Use oil and balsamic instead of processed dressings. Ever flip that dressing bottle around and see a million ingredients listed? Think “less is more,” and lightly dress a salad with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar—no additives included! It’s delish and guilt free!
- Pop Your Own! Headed out to the movies? We all know a movie is just not a movie without popcorn! But most large, buttery tubs from the concession stand boast a whopping 1,000-plus calories. Smuggle in your own (air- or microwave-popped, 94% fat-free) and save around 900 calories!
- Trade Out that Dinner Plate. Simply trade in your 12-inch dinner plate for a smaller salad plate, and you’ll eat up to 22% fewer calories, research suggests. Do that for every meal of the day, and you’ll bank around 500 calories.
- Sprinkle cinnamon instead of sugar. Here’s a spicy suggestion: Use cinnamon instead of sugar packets to heighten the flavor of coffee without adding extra calories. Try adding cinnamon in everything from oatmeal to your shakes too!
- Switch up that cup of Joe. Trade in your 20-ounce morning latte (290 calories) for a cup of black coffee with a splash of half-and-half (22 calories). Then skip the towering 24-ounce afternoon Frappuccino (330 calories), and have a 12-ounce iced coffee with a splash of skim (25 calories) instead.
- Change Up Those Mindless Eating Habits. Eat at the table instead of in front of the TV. Dining in front of the television can lead to serious overeating.
- Go grocery shopping when you’re full instead of when you’re hungry. People spend more when they shop hungry—and choose less healthy foods.
- End overeating FOREVER! Stop when you’re full instead of when you clean the plate. A plate half-full means more leftovers and fewer calories!
BONUS TIP: Nap instead of sipping on an energy drink. Energy drinks can pack as much sugar as six doughnuts, while catnaps are always calorie-free. Even a 20 minute nap is ideal and is good for alertness and motor learning skills.
Research has found that napping regularly may reduce stress and even decrease your risk of heart disease. To get the most out of a power snooze, follow these quick tips:
Be consistent. Keep a regular nap schedule. Prime napping time falls in the middle of the day, between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
Make it quick. Set your cell phone alarm for 20/ 30 minutes or less if you don’t want to wake up groggy.
Go dark. Nap in a dark room or wear an eye mask. Blocking out light helps you fall asleep faster.
I hope these Simple Swaps help make your life a bit easier and healthier!! Please let me know if you already do any of these or if decide to try any! Share with any of your friends who you know could use a simple swap to make life bit easier!