If you’ve been keeping up with me on IG or FB you know that I have been pretty religiously sticking to my workout routine all throughout my pregnancy! I am 29 weeks right now and have been sticking to about 5-6 workouts per week. I can’t tell you how much more energy I have on the days that I workout VS the days I choose as my rest days. I know you hear this from me over and over again but I wanted to dedicate a blog specifically to all the benefits and perks of working out throughout your pregnancy! I will share with you what I have been doing as well as ways you can join me if you would like to stay active during your pregnancy as well. Well, let’ get to it. Here are the reasons why I am sticking to my workouts now more than ever! (Oh, and if you’re reading this and new to health and fitness – please check with your doc and get the ok to workout before you start a new program, join a gym, start a new class, etc) 🙂
These are the extra added benefits of working out During Labor and Delivery:
- The early stages of labor will be less intense for a woman who works out during pregnancy
- Shorter first and second stages of labor
- Enhanced pain tolerance
- Increased stamina for labor and delivery, with less perceived exertion during labor
- Lower incidences of intervention during labor
- Lowers your risk of having a C-section
- Your good pelvic muscle tone results in lower risk of episiotomies/tearing
- Reduce backaches, constipation, bloating and swelling
- Boost your mood and energy levels
- Helps you to sleep better
- Prevents excess weight gain
- High levels of muscle tone, strength and endurance
Working specifically with programs that help you with flexibility training, cardiovascular and or strength training. all help with the following during pregnancy:
- Boosts moms immune-system function which then in turn continues to benefit your baby after birth through breastfeeding
- Efficiently delivers blood and oxygen to the heart and brain, enhancing energy-levels
- Helps manage or prevent gestational diabetes
- Improved posture which then results in fewer aches and pains
- Quicker postpartum recovery
- Increased balance
- Reduces stress, anxiety, postpartum depression
- Increases the cardiovascular capacity of the baby.
Being a healthy, active and fit mom means that you will pass this philosophy and teachings on to your kids. Healthy mom = Healthy Babies
Fit moms give birth to leaner, stronger, healthier, and even smarter babies. Isn’t it great that by keeping yourself healthy and on track during pregnancy that you are setting your child up for SUCCESS before they are even born?!? Fit, active women lead by example and show their children that they value a healthy lifestyle and value their bodies. This is setting a great example for our kids and becoming that positive role model in their lives and something for our children to look up to and emulate.
What workouts are you doing throughout your pregnancy?
I am doing everything from weight lifting, yoga/ pilates to more of a cardiovascular based program. Truthfully, it all depends on how I am feeling that day. I actually even incorporate dance programs into my workout on my “active recovery” days or on the days when I am just not feeling I have as much energy. The one thing I will say is DOING SOMETHING, IS BETTER THAN NOTHING! Go for a walk, take a swim or just sit on the floor and stretch! ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING! Keep your body active, try and get that heart rate up at least once a day. Also, I am still such an avid FitBit “wearer” haha an I wear my FitBit almost everyday and make sure I am getting in my full 10,000 steps for the day. If by the end of the day I am not there, I will go for a walk, get on the treadmill or turn on a dance workout to get all 10,000 steps in. It may seem like a lot of steps to you if you aren’t used to walking so much but trust me- you find yourself parking your car further away from the stores, taking the steps and WANTING to get those extra steps in each day!
Looking for some accountability but don’t know where to start? I’d love for you to join me on this journey! Comment below, message/ email me or reach out to me via FB/ IG and I can share with you everything from the exact workouts I do each day, the meal plan I follow and how I keep active each day!
Share the LOVE!
Make sure to follow me where I am most active which is IG & FB! Also, subscribe to the blog so we can keep in touch and you will get all of my updates and exciting announcements FIRST, yummy recipes, meal plans, workout of the day and so much more! I look forward to connecting with you!